World Fives Day 2021 supporting Young Minds in their fight for improving children and young people’s mental health
01/05/21: For this year’s World Fives Day, the Eton Fives Association has partnered with Advanta Foundation to raise money for Young Minds – the UK’s leading charity championing the wellbeing and mental health of young people.
The Covid-19 pandemic is the biggest health crisis for generations, and it has affected the mental health of many young people in ways which could lead to long-term consequences. A survey conducted by Young Minds in January 2021 revealed that the pandemic has significantly exacerbated mental health issues, with thousands of young people in the UK confessing that that they are deeply anxious, have started self-harming, are experiencing panic attacks, or losing motivation and hope for the future. It has been found that these negative feelings have been triggered by loneliness and isolation, a breakdown in routine and concerns about school, college or university work and how this may impact future employment opportunities.
In partnership with Advanta Foundation, the Eton Fives Association have organised an online raffle featuring a fantastic range of prizes worth over £1,000. The money we raise through the raffle will be donated to Young Minds, in the hope that our contribution will help to support the mental health needs of some of the most vulnerable children and young people in the country.
“The Eton Fives Association is very aware of the importance of schools, colleges and Universities in the development and continuation of our game. Eton Fives has strong mental health benefits with its focus on staying active and building friendships and mutual support through sport. We are also mindful of the difficulties that children and young people have endured in recent times and therefore, we are both pleased and excited about this opportunity to raise money for Young Minds. Once again, we are extremely grateful to our sponsors, the Advanta Foundation for their wonderfully generous offer to match fund our donations. I hope that between us all in the Eton Fives community we are able to make a significant gift to Young Minds” – Chris Davies, Chairman of Eton Fives Association
“The Advanta Foundation aims to improve the lives of disadvantaged children and our motto is “Creating Futures”. We believe that addressing the challenges which young people are facing with their mental wellbeing must be of paramount importance. Without a solid foundation of good mental health, a healthy and happy future can be at risk. We are therefore extremely proud to combine forces with the Eton Fives Association for World Fives Day in aid of Young Minds because together, we can achieve more.” – Gillian Piggot, Advanta Foundation
To get involved in our prized competition and raise money for Young Minds, simply visit our Raffall page. One ticket costs £5 and you can buy as many tickets as you wish! What’s even more exciting is that the Advanta Foundation has generously offered to match the money we raise for Young Minds!*
Our raffle prizes include:
• A one-week stay at a picturesque cottage in North Dordogne, France. Redeemable at any time in 2022 (sponsored by Richard Black)
• A pair of tickets to the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot, June 2022. This experience will include lunch and a race card marked up with all the winners (sponsored by Aston House Stud)
• One Eton Fives hamper to include an EFA polo shirt, a pair of fives gloves, fives balls and a copy of “A History of Eton Fives” book (sponsored by Dale Vargas, author of “A History of Eton Fives”; Gloves and Balls; and the Eton Fives Association)
• Two hand-printed screen prints of your choice from The Comic Art Website (sponsored by John Reynolds)
• A luxury travel set containing a wash bag, luggage tag and passport holder (sponsored by Wiseman Cases Ltd)
• One Real Tennis coaching session at Hampton Court Palace (sponsored by Karen Hird, former Real Tennis World Champion)
• To be immortalised in fiction and have a character named after you or a loved one in the second novel in Robert Thorogood’s Marlow Murder Club series (sponsored by Robert Throrogood, creator of the BBC One murder mystery series Death in Paradise)
• Dinner at any UK restaurant (up to £250) and Giles Coren will pick up the bill (sponsored by Giles Coren, journalist and restaurant critic for The Times)
• A delicious selection of homemade baked goods (sponsored by Charlotta Cooley)
• One crate of beer of your choice courtesy of Ridgeway Brewery (sponsored by Peter Scholey, independent and award-winning brewer)
• An original Eton Fives artwork (sponsored by Martin Wainwright)
To enter the raffle, please visit our Raffall page between 1-16 May 2021. To purchase tickets, simply create an account, then you will be prompted to answer a simple question (the answer is “11”), then select the number of tickets you wish to purchase and then select to pay directly. You will then be taken to a payment screen and following approval of payment, you will receive an email containing your tickets.
Internet Explorer might display the raffle page incorrectly, so we recommend using other browsers.
Winners will be announced shortly after the raffle deadline, week commencing 17th May 2021.
*up to the value of £10,000