Statement to Schools, Clubs and all members of the Eton Fives playing community
17/03/20: The escalating concerns created by the Covid 19 pandemic will have escaped no one.
In response to the current situation and in particular,
- The government announcement on Monday 16th March advising against all non essential contact and travel
- The closure of key venues
- Our duty to safeguard the health and wellbeing of:
- Pupils and staff at schools
- Organisers of all our competitions
- All players of the game
- Members of the general population outside the game upon whom our activities may inadvertently impact
the EFA has decided to postpone all EFA sanctioned tournaments and matches for the foreseeable future.
- The National Schools' Championships
- The EFA League
- Tournaments and competitions yet to start
We recognise that it may be very difficult indeed to reschedule some fixtures.
We will have further discussions with the players involved before making a final decision on some competitions that are already in their final stages. These include:
- The Kinnaird Cup
- The Ladies Championships
The EFA/Advanta Dinner at the RAC on May 15th has also been postponed.
Clearly these decisions have not been taken lightly or easily, but I very much expect that everyone will accept the serious and unprecedented nature of the circumstances in which we have made them.
Anyone who has access to courts and who wishes to continue to play friendly fives may of course continue to do so, but all such activities lie outside the remit of the EFA.
I wish everyone continued good health for the coming weeks and months.